Friday, July 8, 2011

Watch what throne?


I love Kanye. For some reason I have never fallen for Jay-Z though, there's just something about him. Yes, I listen to him on occasion. If he comes up on shuffle I usually won't skip him. But there's just something about that leads me to think he's overrated. It could be the face that I liked Ether the most out of all of the Jay/Nas beef songs. It could be the fact that he's not the most attractive man in the world and he's married to Beyoncé. Maybe it's the fact that Eminem killed him on Renegade, or J. Cole had the best verse on the Blueprint 3 in my opinion. It also could be that he's not out promoting Cole like Kanye promotes Big Sean. I'll definitely have a lot to say about that one at a later date though. So right there I am slightly skepticle about Watch The Throne; this project can be one I love, but just as easily may become one that doesn't make the cut for me. First of all I don't like the album cover. It's essentially The H.A.M. cover art, but gold-plated (might I add that H.A.M. didn't impress me although it coined a new term that I use on occasion). I am pleased to hear that H.A.M. most likely isn't making the cut. But back to the cover art, I'd like to see a more creative and meaningful cover. We get the point that Hova and Yeezy are rich, there's no need to make a golden cover to show us. Also, it will look terrible if the cover is printed on paper, which is how most covers are produced. Next issue: the features. Beyoncé and Frank Ocean are the only two artists featured as of now. This doesn't make much sense to me. This album should be a way to help Roc Nation and GOOD Music take over the world. YMCMB should be cowering in fear after its release. Obviously the artists currently named will be featured on hooks, and maybe Ocean will donate a verse. Scratch them and throw John Legend, Mr. Hudson and Kid Cudi on hooks. Maybe even a little Sean Garrett. There should be a mentor/mentored song: imagine Jay-Z, Kanye West, J. Cole & Big Sean going back to back. Song of the year material right there, especially with a nice Kanye beat and a Kid Cudi hook. I'm getting excited just thinking about it. Next up there should be a song where each artist shows off their signed talent. Roc Nation would have J. Cole & Jay Electronica going in, whille GOOD Music could have Kid Cudi, Big Sean, Pusha T and CyHi Da Prynce killing it. Jay and West would be on both of these songs of course. End the album with a monster collaboration featuring all of these artists and there's a GOOD Nation takeover. This would still leave 10-12 songs of just the two main artists, but my personal belief is that Hov fears being outshined on his own album again (since it happens pretty frequently). Mr. West probably will do this on his own though. This is a very poor business move in my opinion, but we'll see the final result on August 2nd.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the last part, i believe JayZ will be pretty conservative regarding being outshined by Kanye, but who knows. At first sight it looks light a clash of egos, but we will have to wait till Aug 2nd.

    ReplyDelete