Monday, July 4, 2011

Journeying into the mind of Lil B


I really don't get this guy. Maybe some people do but I sure as fuck don't. I can't tell if he's a genius or an idiot and just as I begin leaning towards one end of the spectrum, something pushes me in the opposite direction. He first gained popularity when his group, the Based Boys, released the unexpected hit "Vans" in 2007 but soon feel off the map.In 2009 he resurfaced and released over 1,500 songs on Myspace within the next few years. Some of these songs are ridiculous (See Wonton Soup & Ellen Degeneres), but have helped his name spread around the web nonetheless. After hearing these songs I thought this man was a brain dead rapper, maybe even a few notches down from Soulja Boy. However, they do say that no publicity is bad publicity, which hold true in this case. The self proclaimed "Based God" planned to release an album entitled "I'm Gay (I'm Happy)" which was met with hatred and death threats. Once again, he got his name out there. On June 29, his album was just released to iTunes accomplishing something rare: it wasn't leaked beforehand. In this day and age of music, an average album leaks about 2 weeks before it hits the marketplace but somehow Lil B managed to avoid this. How? I'm not quite sure. Furthermore, the album went on to receive some positive reviews, including a write up by Lupe Fiasco, praising him as a revolutionary artist. Even odder is the fact that Lil B posted a link to download the album for free on his twitter. Does this mean he doesn't care about sales and money? Once again, I'm lost. I was pleasantly surprised to hear an intellectual side to the Based God on this album, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. It will be interesting to see what path B's career takes, and if he sticks to the swag act or decides to go for the act that will leave people thinking. Maybe he'll continue to do what he's been doing: act like he knows nothing and then take us for an occasional loop. What do you think?

You can download the album for free here or from iTunes to show true support.

7 comments:

  1. I don't know.. I like when rappers tell a story in their lyrics.. Like Eminem, you know?

    But maybe that's just my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I'm not really into USA rap but w/e, good stuff +followd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knows, i dont get it either. Good stuff though. + 1 follower

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't get it either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I'm just getting old, but his style of rap, along with others like Soulja Boy, is so lazy and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always have loved Eminem for his storytelling abilities. I think rappers like Soulja Boy lack skill but in today's society apparently that gets you radioplay?

    ReplyDelete